Monday, March 25, 2013

It's All About Adapting


I think thinking about adapting a lot. Of course, there's the physical adaptations I may have to make due to the injuries to my wrists. There is also the possible job changes I may have to make, and I also have to keep adapting my attitude and my thoughts and my research as I find out more about what I'm capable of doing.

I'm waiting for my additional memory for my computer so that Dragon will run more efficiently. Won't that be fun to install? Having that additional memory will make this process using voice recognition much easier. Also, while I was out picking up a few things at the store, I picked up a wrist brace for my left wrist that matches the one I use on my right. I'll be bringing it to my postop visit on Thursday to show it to the doctor to get it okay for use.

I finished filling out the application to become a Certified Peer Counselor, and faxed that to the proper person. The certification process involves being accepted into the program, doing 80 hours of classroom time, and taking a final exam. Part of being accepted into the program also involves a letter of recommendation from a supervisor who is familiar with my work. Before my injury I had asked my program director (my direct supervisor) if he would fill out this letter of recommendation for me, which he said he would. I don't know how the 80 hours of classroom time is run or when the next classes start. However, I'm hoping that because my injury is under workers comp, work will allow me the time off to take these classes even if I am back to work by then. I was going to go for this certification anyway, but it feels more imperative that I do so now.

I also am planning to go back to school to finish up my Associates degree in technical communications. I'll have to clean up the mess that I made when I had to drop out suddenly due to the final abuse and divorce from my ex-husband. Once that's taken care of, I'll be working with North Hennepin Community College and the University of Minnesota to get that degree.

I've had to make some adaptations to my exercise routine. Prior to my injury back in July I had been doing DDP Yoga. Afterwards I got kind of disheartened because I couldn't do it the normal way. I tried doing it with modifications, but pretty much gave up on it because I couldn't do it the way I wanted to do it. Stupid I know, but shit I am human. Cracking up my left wrist, with the injury being so recent, has made doing DDP Yoga virtually impossible. Right now I just do the walking tapes that I have so at least I'm doing something. However, I must say I have never met a nicer, more supportive group of people in my life. The folks on the DDP Yoga website are very encouraging, and I highly recommend visiting the Team DDP Yoga website to see how fantastic these people are. I'll put the link to Team DDP Yoga in my links list so it can be found.

Speaking of DDP, Diamond Dallas Page is a phenomenal motivator. His yoga tapes are absolutely incredible. DDP Yoga is a system combining yoga, Pilates, isometrics, and rehabilitation exercises that he developed with the help of experts after he himself was limited by his own injuries from wrestling. They are probably the most enjoyable tapes I've ever seen as far as exercise tapes go. He has a philosophy of "living life at 90%" that goes a long way for positive attitude adjustment. On the Team DDP Yoga website there is a link to a video of his where he explains this whole philosophy of living life at 90%. I have it on my iPod and listen to it quite often. There are several other people and videos on the website that are great for motivation and also for modification if that's something you need. In fact, a video done by Arthur Boorman showing his transformation is why I ended up there in the first place. Arthur is around the website a lot and also appears in some of the videos. His transformation is stunning. There is no other word to describe it.

Also added into my mix of adapting is using affirmations. This has become critical because at this point I have no insurance and cannot afford the medications I should be on for my depression. That whole business is a topic for another time and I won't go into it here.

Anyway, that kind of a brief overview of some of the adaptations I've been working on lately. Stay tuned for more.

Edit:
For some reason the links editor in here for my lists isn't working properly, so here's the links for DDP Yoga and Team DDP Yoga. Arthur's video is on the front page of the DDP Yoga website.

DDP Yoga
TEAM DDP Yoga

Affirmation of the day: Change may be inevitable, but how I deal with it is my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment